Reflection in Real Life


They called me the bully of the school - I was arrogant, insensitive, and overly confident. 

Back in Singapore Sports School, I participated in numerous competitions and attained plenty of accolades as a national athlete. Thus, I got onto my high horse in no time. I was the epitome of a "bad student". Late submissions, fights in school, and the other troubles that I have gotten myself into, became all too familiar to me. 

I could, however, get away with it every single time. As the youngest of the family, I am always being doted upon. Any mistakes I made were not explicitly frowned upon and I was not taught the right ways. As such, the protection from my family created a conducive environment for my ignorance and immaturity to flourish. It was hard for me to comprehend what makes a good student, or a good person.

Then, came the year 2009. It was when I felt a change in my personality and character. It was an unfruitful year for me as I sustained multiple bodily injuries, which caused me to miss out on major, international competitions. This greatly affected me in terms of morale, sports performance, and academic grades.

From there, as I grew older and faced more difficulties in life, I have came to understand the importance of contentment. Subsequently, I started learning to take steps back and to reflect on my actions. Undergoing personal self-reflection on a daily basis have changed me significantly, and I would never go back to being who I was before. I learnt, most importantly, that "there is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.”

(283 words)

13 September 2018


1 Comments

  1. Thanks for this reflection. I can't see in it though how ypu explain the transformation that has taken place. Where is an explanation of your personal change?

    ReplyDelete