Writing A Formal Email

Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Prof Brad,

I am currently a Year 1 student in sustainable infrastructure engineering (SIE) - Building Services. My personal interest to help the environment has greatly sparked my enthusiasm in environmental studies. As an environmental design student in temasek polytechnic, I would say that urban design is my forte. Through the course of urban design I got to learn about shaping cities, buildings, streets, public spaces, and districts.

Prior to that, I spent a great part of my life as a former national student athlete. I have been a sprinter for 100m and 400m, competing in international competitions like SEA Games. With that, I have seen many beautiful places around the world which gave me plenty of eye-opening opportunities to witness the materialization of sustainable designs and engineering.

Upon graduation from the course of SIE, I aim to gain nonpareil expertise through government-owned corporations like building construction authority (BCA) for 2 to 3 years to apply what I have learnt and further grasp the field of infrastructure engineering. After which, I have plans to commence on my own design business in efficient energy. In the name of sustainable engineering, I advocate injecting it into my designs as I venture onto my entrepreneurial journey. Thereafter, one of my plans is also to volunteer overseas to build eco-friendly houses for the homeless, especially children.

When it comes to my personal communication skills, my greatest weakness by far would be my monotonous tone and as much as I have tried to change, the enunciation of my words. With this, I have welcomed feedback from the people I speak to, thereafter trying to improve in communicating with them.

On the other hand, in the way I speak to people, I speak with respect and sincerity which brings people to find me affable. This, I would say, is my strength in communication. Also, I tend to run the logic through my mind before saying things, so as to make good sense.

Best Regards,

Nicholas Tang

13 September 2018

4 Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nicholas,

    Thanks for the detailed letter. Usually I don't comment until the writer's peers have had a chance to comment, but for you I need to make an exception since you seem to have forgotten that this post needs to be in formal letter style. Please update this when you have a chance.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nic,

    Thank you for sharing your background with us. Below are some of my suggestions on editing your formal letter:

    - You might want to share what you want to achieve from this module?
    - Closing line to thank the reader.

    I hope you consider the mentioned suggestions. Thank you.

    Regards,
    Lok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nicholas,

    Maybe you could change the structure,"With that, I have seen many beautiful places around the world ... sustainable designs and engineering." to

    "This has given me an eye opening opportunity to witness the materialization of sustainable designs and engineering through the countless beautiful places I have been to."

    It is nice to see that you have plans to use your knowledge and put it to good use. And I cannot wait to listen to all the stories of the places you had been to!

    Sincerely,
    Shannyn

    ReplyDelete